Wordpress security emergency! Rename ADMIN!!!
OK - so you may have seen the emails about all the extra hacking that’s been going on targeting Wordpress blogs. Well - a big problem is that most users set up their blogs using admin as the username.
The hackers know this and they are hitting WP blogs hard trying to gain access using admin to login.
This solution from wordfence describes HOW to change your profile form using admin as the login.
Yes - it’s a hassle - but really worth the time to change your admin logins to something else! Also while you’re at it - make your passwords a little longer and they’ll be much harder to crack!
To rename your WordPress ‘admin’ user:
- Sign in as ‘admin’.
- Create a new user using the steps below.
- Choose a hard-to-guess username, but don’t make it so difficult that you’ll forget it.
- Make that user’s role “administrator”.
- Choose a password that has upper and lower-case letters and numbers in it. Symbols are OK too. Never use the word ‘password’ in your password, even if it has a different case and includes numbers.
- Click “Add new user”.
- Sign out as ‘admin’.
- Sign in as the new user.
- Delete your old ‘admin’ user and assign all posts/pages/comments to your new admin user.
- Congratulations, you now have a more secure WordPress system.
www.wordfence.com - a good Wordpress plugin to protect you from attacks.